Saturday, January 21, 2012

A super quick baby quilt

I just finished a super-quick baby quilt for a co-worker. You know the one. You totally ignored the obvious bulge in the tummy until her work baby shower just 1 week away? 


After heading to western Massachusetts for a work meeting and surviving a wind advisory while walking outside for several hours, I felt a treat for me was in order. I searched out a quilt store, typed the address in my Garmin, and I was off. I did not have a lot of time, but I was not disappointed in Southampton Quilts (6 Parc Place #D, Southampton, MA). The store was well stocked with fabrics, but not so tightly that I felt claustrophobic.  And they carried Aurafil in nice, big spools. There was also a lovely classroom in the back.  And they carried Aurafil (I thought it worth mentioning twice).   Well, I found two fabrics to make that long-delayed baby quilt super easy. The Jolly Jungle Labels by the Henley Studio, makower uk (tan) and a striped flannel (I've lost to selvege on this one). I simply quilted along the sides of the little pictures in both direction. I used a creamy colored thread for the top and bobbin. The binding is a bit of deep deal green that  friend gave me from her de-stash.  


I used the QuiltTac to baste the quilt. As I was rushing to remove them, while hearing my son fuss on the baby monitor and knowing my sewing time was at an end, I accidentally snipped the top fabric. The hole was small, but there. At the next nap cycle for my son, I decided I would applique something to cover the hole. Since I am totally unable to draw anything more complex than stick figures, I hit the web. I found a great giraffe appliqued quilt by Oh'Fransson Giraffe Applique (although this applique is no longer available as a pattern, the basic quilt seems to still be available). I think it turned out alright, but maybe a solid color would have stood out more. I wish I could have made it bigger, but I only had 8.5 x 11 paper available and did not feel like piecing together a bunch of pieces for a bigger pattern. 


About 4 hours total time invested...completed over two and 1/2 of my son's naps. 







Co-worker baby quilt. Done. Apologies for the bad lighting and photos. I have a tiny studio and makes taking photos tough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment